Liepaja’s 11th Latvian Primary School was planned to open in Jaunliepaja on September 1, 1922, as the existing 2 Latvian primary schools were unable to accommodate all school-aged children in their premises. Since there were no suitable premises in Jaunliepaja, they searched for them in the old part of Liepaja. The school board decided to rebuild the former “Ede Bura-Bliferte” glass factory (now Apšu Street 3) for school purposes. The renovation work lasted until November.
Student registration began on October 10, 1922, in the premises of the 10th Latvian Primary School. 2-3 children applied per day. Most came in November, when the children of the poorest parents – farmhands – returned from the countryside. The school was also referred to as the “Poor” school in the community.
On November 24, 1922, in the elegant but not very comfortable premises, 340 students gathered for the first time at Liepaja’s 11th Latvian primary school, with the head of the school – Krists Rudzītis and 7 teachers – Hilda Zēmane, Helga Mauriņa, Emīlija Krontāle, Klīse Reimane, Rūdolfs Gramkans, and Anna Cukure.
The number of students increased every day, and classes were overcrowded (with 50 or more students per class). Three or four children sat in each desk. There was a lack of desks, teaching aids, and books, so the organizational work was not easy. Two more teachers were hired – Ansi Akmeņkalns for physical education and Maris Vētra for singing. On January 15, 1923, less than 2 months after the start of the school, three new classes were opened and two new teachers were elected – Sofia Eltermane and Alvīne Grabi. The number of students exceeded 400.
In October 1932, after the retirement of the school’s previous principal K. Rudzītis, the leadership of the school was taken over by Klāvs Vadzis, a teacher from Čakstes Primary School. On November 26, with the approval of the city council and the Ministry of Education, the school was named after the writer, Jānis Poruks. On the 10th anniversary of the school’s existence, teachers and students of the 9th grade primary school greeted their colleagues and students with significant words:
“Be the sun. Shine as bright, to bring light in the dark world.”
In the 1930s, efforts were made to provide for the school, as the majority of the students were very poor and had minimal support from their parents, and the funds allocated by the city council were not sufficient. However, the number of students continued to grow, and in 1936-1937 it reached 500. Of the 34 teachers, 4 had higher education: Adolfs Ābele, Alma Freija from the Conservatory, Kārlis Hartmanis from the Paris Academy of Art, and Leons Vārna from the University of Innsbruck. Many teachers had graduated from the University of Tartu and the Riga Teachers’ Institute. .
Throughout the years, the school had actively engaged in student self-organized groups, but the most active ones were the choir, drama group, and the Red Cross club.
In 1940, during the first year of Soviet ruling, the school’s name was unified according to the Soviet model and renamed as the 1st Seven-Year School. At the beginning of World War II, the school premises on Kr. Valdemara Street had to be vacated, as they were taken over by a German army hospital. However, classes continued in other premises – first at the corner of Cenkones and Riepu Streets, but after the destruction of that building, in a building on Cenkones Street 3 (currently the Prayer house).
In 1949/50, the most important event according to the memories of the school’s director at the time, Aleksandra Arne, was the request made at the end of 1948/49 to the Latvian SSR Ministry of Education to give the school the name of the poet writer, Rainis (after the war, the school formerly known as Raiņa School did not restore its name, and it is not known from archive materials why Poruka’s name was not restored to our school). An affirmative response was received, and everything was planned for September.
Yellow flowers everywhere – that was Rainis’ favorite color. Teacher Z. Valdmane gave a lecture, while teacher Eltermane organized a small exhibition, and students sang songs with Rainis’ lyrics. It was very festive.”
After the war, the school resumed its work with Soviet-era youth organizations such as the Pioneers and Komsomol, as well as the activities of various clubs.
In 1957/58 academic year, the first high school graduation took place at Raiņa School.
The school set up a physics laboratory (teacher Dzelmanis) and other facilities, including a radio station that began to occupy a very important place in school life. The Latvian literature club (teacher A. Grīnvalde (Tiltiņa)) was very active. Every year a play was prepared, which was successfully performed at the city theater. There were also other artistic self-help groups, of which the most active were the school dance groups (teacher L. Jansone). The memory story of teacher A. Grīnvalde has preserved the last day of the first high school year.
In the 1960s, Raiņa 6th High School was well-regarded by the local residents, which led to a constant increase in the number of students. Liepaja City Council decided to transfer the newly established school to the collective of the 6th High School. Everyone participated in the construction of the new school.
On September 1, 1965, the new school building was ceremoniously opened. It was the first newly built school building after World War II. The care of the surrounding residents for the new school was touching. Often in the mornings, flowers were placed in the school premises, palm trees were given as gifts with blooming flowers, so that the school would be more beautiful,” recalled the director Lilija Lauka.
In 1967/68, the director Valda Eilenberga stated that the school is new and spacious, but the rooms became more narrow, so work was carried out in 2 shifts.
In the academic year of 1970/71, the school transitioned to a complete system of classrooms, which could be achieved by investing enormous effort from teachers. The physics classroom (led by teacher E. Krauze) was one of the best in the republic, and the chemistry, biology, geography, history, Latvian language, and literature classrooms were also well-equipped.
In the late 60s and 70s, utilizing the opportunities provided by the Soviet system, there was an active extracurricular life in the school. Dance groups (led by teachers L. Jansone and V. Dekovica), choirs and ensembles (led by teachers A. Puško, A. Slaboviša, Eniņa), an agitbrigade (led by teacher N. Zeniņa), a Red Cross club (led by teacher V. Klepere), an International Friendship Club (led by teacher I. Sedula), a model car club (led by teacher E. Krauze), and others.
In September 1974, the school celebrated its 25th anniversary in honor of the poet writer Rainis. At the festive event, the Latvian language teacher Zeniņa said: “It seems that naming the school after Rainis is the best memory of the poet writer, the memory of a great idea in its development.””
In the mid-70s, 1300 students were studying at Raiņa 6th Secondary School, and there were 67 teachers working there. The school director at the time was Tālivaldis Deklaus.
Starting from 1991, classes at the school were held from 5th to 12th grade. In order for students to be able to study in one shift, in 1991, the primary school children and teachers moved from Raiņa 6th High School premises on Ganību Street 106, forming an independent Ezerkrasts Primary School.
History of our school
Updated on 2023-04-27T11:44:44+03:00, by .